Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

10.10.2003

Since I have been driving around more I have started to listen to Lansing/MSU radio more. I haven't found a station better than Impact 88.9 [The Student Radio Station]. It has a really great mix of music, no ads, and DJs who aren't attention whores. I found the station when I took my car out for a wash. I went down to Jolly road to find a do-it-yourself hose and soap wash. On the way there I scanned the radio for good music. The drive reminded me of Whitneyville road in the Fall. After hosing down the bird feces and berry-splatterings from the Paseo I decide to explore the East side of Lansing by way of Aurelius road. It was one of the strangest street designs I've ever seen. A bike path follows the street on both sides. For about a half mile or more, however, the road goes above the grade and the single lanes are separated by cement curbs on both sides, like a hot-wheels track. On my right is a double wide bike lane and on the left is a ~8" curb separating the lanes of traffic. I have no idea why such a radical street design was built.

Maybe these guys have the answer. Don't take the name seriously, there is actually a lot of sympathy for Lansing on this site.

A true test of toponymy on the internet [you will need FLASH to view this site correctly].

I am using a new method of posting to the blog. I need to see how well this works. Cellophane, Cardboard, Beautiful.

Okay, so after looking at that, I've decided it's easier just to use the default Blogger method.

No comments: