Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

11.17.2003

Semester Review

I have finished the last of my readings for my English class. I have compiled a list with short reviews on Amazon. There are some real gems, and there are some real duds. Overall the selection was very good and I enjoyed reading most of these books. [The pidgin English in two of them can be tricky, however.]

I saw two movies in theatres this semester: The Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill, vol. 1. Revolutions was what I hoped for and nothing more. I was expecting a spectacle of computer graphics that would somehow end up in the final showdown between Smith and Neo. Revolutions was superior to Reloaded; it didn't leave the viewer gazing at the screen for several minutes while a computer program ranted on some philosophical meaning built into the structure of the Matrix and Zion. At least Revolutions got to the part we all needed to see: a good old fashioned high-noon showdown.

Now Kill Bill is a different story. I loved it. It made me laugh out loud and squeeze my face up and grind my teeth all at the same time. QT makes horrifying limb chopping into a riot of parody and admiration. There are scenes where some of the most absolutely unexpected things happen. I want to see vol. 2 right now. I can't wait.

I'll also review some of the places I've eaten at this semester.

King Buffet: I went to KB for the third time this semester tonight. My boss took me since I helped her pack up some of the sale items at Sunday's Global Festival. The other two times were with Dr. Lim's class. I have grown to enjoy it. It is a Chinese/Japanese buffet with some classic American dishes. It is better than the Oriental Forest Buffet in Wyoming, MI.

Tony's: I ate here twice. Both times I had good food, but the service was inconsistent. I really enjoyed Tony's Steak Sandwich. Very tasty. The price is right, too.

No comments: