Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

9.18.2003

A Junket from the Farthest Reaches of the Geoid

I've decided that breakfast will be at Tony's in East Lansing. This is an actual restaurant. I've heard it is good and they serve breakfast. I don't know who Tony is.

I've got some great Toponymy links. Lets start with the World Trade Center. They are keeping the name [NYTimes, registration required] even though they are redeveloping the site. Interesting decision. I decided to look into the toponymy of the two cities I am researching for my UP classes. First there is Troy, it was named after [get this] Troy, NY. Then there is Boston; obviously a much older city. "On September 17, 1630, Winthrop decided to make Shawmut a permanent settlement and renamed it Boston, after his hometown in Lincolnshire England." Then why didn't he call it Lincolnshire? Then there is an article from MLUI [Michigan Land Use Institute] regarding the hypocrisy of "property rights." The author is a bit too negative. After all, land-use would be a non-issue if people didn't have different ideas for its development. But, he does have a point about cities reimbursing land-owners for "diminished value."

How do you sleep. Yep, you guessed it, another "personality test." Can I fail a personality test? Can the full range of humanity be parceled into a dozen distinct sets of traits? [Just in case you were curious, I'm a foetus sleeper and occasionally a log.]

Don't forget, tomorrow is Talk Like A Pirate Day.

I now have a comments system. It's free so the features are limited. Click on the comments link below each entry to add or view comments.

No comments: