Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

9.21.2003

A Toothless Meandering Through the Sunderbans

You should see the view from my window. I admit it isn't as good as the view across the hall, but I still like it. First, there are trees, at least three very large trees. The trees are at their very tallest near my window [I am on the fifth floor]. This is a unique way to see a tree. Too often trees are characterized by their trunks or as people look up into them. From my window I get the geographer's perspective, top-down. I can erase the oblique and journey into the vertical. I also can see the cafeteria [it is connected to the two wings of my dorm building]. The windows of the cafeteria have a metal grate on the outside. On top of the octagonal cafeteria there is an octagonal service room. Behind the cafeteria is West Wilson.

People whine about Detroit's lack of championship games. But if you look at all the major league cities [in the past 20 years] then you really start to feel sorry for Seattle. I would guess that most of Detroit's 12 points come from the Red Wings and the Pistons. So you can continue bitching about the Lions and the Tigers.

Clam and Eggs. It's a recipe. I love the little picture in the corner. Mmmm, clams. [NY Times, login required]

Defective Yeti was the first blog [by a single author] I started reading regularly. I'm not sure why, but his narrative format was really accessible and I truly enjoyed reading his posts. Plus the graphic on the top is really amazing. Animal COPS is impossible to pass up. Enjoy.

The Morning News can be counted on for original and highly creative writing. I recommend reading Dear Hollywood. [Especially you, Nichols!] The author achieves a clarity of purpose that is particularly well done.

Attention Tony: cartoon cars [including a Honda S800]. Cool stuff.

Oh, and if you want to see the Sunderbans then just look here. The massive and ancient forest is mentioned in Rushdie's Midnight Children. From all accounts it is one of the most terrifying places on earth. On the other hand, it is quite stunning.

No comments: