Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

9.09.2003

A Lofty Nomination for the Reclamation of Putumayo

BBSpot (listed amongst my links on the right hand of your screen) has been quiet these last few months (or perhaps I have just not been looking at it as closely). But their latest article is beautiful and articulate. In the classic vein of giving Microsoft programs human traits, BBSpot has deemed professional psychological treatment necessary. A prescription for Upgradium (as seen on page 147 of Unreal 2003 Gamer's Weekly) is the usual treatment for this suite of programs.

Pirates: a favorite topic. All summer I looked at a newspaper cutout taped onto the wall of my then-bedroom. The cutout had a large color picture of some modern pirates and a headline regarding the present-day scallywags. Although technological advancement prevents large scale piracy, pirates have not lost their edge, style, appeal or capacity for crime. A quote from The Atlantic Online:

"They choose their targets patiently, and then assemble, strike, and dissipate. They have been known to carry heavy weapons, including shoulder-launched missiles, but they are not determined aggressors, and will back off from stiff resistance, regroup, and find another way...." [Read More]


*Interruption of normal weblog service* I get an instant message from Schepers telling me urgently that I must try out IP-Relay. He describes it but my understanding was still muddy. I got a call. An operator tells me how to use this free and anonymous service. We had a short and sporadic conversation. Although I have little use for this program I can definitely see its application for the deaf.

Books are like protein shakes for the mind. So, you should have some sort of schedule for maintenance to keep your brain in shape. At least that's the subject of The Great Books Workout by Laura Miller [NYTimes, login required]. I think it's a bunch of garbage. Only those driven to read for understanding of themselves and their surroundings will see their goals written in each page. Sure, finding the right authors and books might be tricky, but seriously, it's not that tricky. Reading Plato just to check off a box on a reading list is as banal as drinking Diet Caffeine Free Mountain Dew because it's "good" for you. In any case, I am considering buying a Kerouac poster to replace the Animal House one. Still haven't decided. Here is the quote on the bottom of that poster:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."
On The Road, 1957

No comments: