Here, there, everywhere. We have to call it something, don't we? Who's got an idea? Let's call it Toponymy.

9.11.2003

That's Not Exactly Sanitary

I biked to King Buffet (a Chinese/Japanese buffet across from Farmer Jack's on Grand River). Dr. Lim, my professor for UP 400, paid for everyone to eat there. When I went up for a second plate of food I got some Wanton soup. I held the bowl under the sneeze guard and used the ladel to pour the soup. Some of the soup spilt over the bowl and all over my fingers. Then I realized that others may have done the same. An uncountable number of dead skin flakes could be floating in my Wanton soup. That's not exactly sanitary.

Then again, neither is VD. While blogspotting when I should have been eating lunch I found this collection of posters printed by the Federal Government's Social Hygiene Department. After eating at King Buffet I returned to Wilson. Christian (a sophomore who lived on 5EWil last year, too) saw this on my screen and immediately wanted it in his room. "Oh! I have to have that!" He said. So, Mulder printed one off and Christian is planning a trip to Kinkos for enlargement and lamination. Even though VD is a real knee-slapper, my favorite is definitely this 8"x10" of propaganda. Can you say Catch-22?

Onto toponymy. Pop, Soda, Coke, or what-have-you. What do you say when you order a carbonated beverage? Don't tell me, tell him. [Be sure to rollover the links below the map to see each distribution separately.] However, I much prefer this map. Michigan is firmly in the Pop camp [with some soft spots at Mackinaw City].

Tony [aka Little Helmholdt] you must see this. A Durango 95, the car from A Clockwork Orange, completely restored. It is so low, the rice-burners wet their pants. Be sure to check how it was restored and its original condition.

Okay, I know the website is all in German, that doesn't make the pictures less interesting. Just click where you see blue, closed down industrial buildings and run-down factories.

Finally, a good article about the emerging blog.

No comments: